Red Rice ki Kheer
We bring to you another delicacy from the heavenly soil of Uttarakhand!
Red rice is a unique variety of rice that is cultivated at altitudes between 1500-2500 m in Uttarakhand. Our red rice is grown under natural conditions. It is sourced from hill villages in Saryu Valley of Bageshwar district of Uttarakhand.
Red rice derives its red colour from antioxidants called anthocyanin that are considered beneficial in fighting free radicals in the body. It has high nutritional value and is a good source of vitamin B. It is also beneficial in controlling cholesterol and diabetes.
‘Red Rice ki Kheer’ is a delicious recipe that you must try with our Red Rice. The pure vibrance of our rice mingled with your cooking skills will create one memorable dish!
Ingredients (Serves 6) —
- Red Rice: 90 grams
- Milk: 1 litre (full cream)
- Ghee: One Tablespoon
- Jaggery (Gur): 100 grams
- Cardamom/Badi Elaichi: 2 pieces
- For Garnishing —
- 4 Almonds
- 4 Pistachios
- Few Strands of Kesar
- Wash and soak red rice for 2 hours
- Coarsely grind the rice in the grinder
- Take one tablespoon of ghee in a kadhai and fry the grounded red rice for two minutes
- Boil the milk on low heat, and add the rice
- Cook it on low flame till it is thick and creamy —this may take 30-40 minutes
- Switch off the gas and let the phirni cool down
- Add grated jaggery after the phirni has completely cooled down to room temperature
- Have it warm or cool it in the fridge — whatever suits your taste buds!
- Garnish with almonds, pistachios and kesar before serving!